These days, looking and feeling young is not only a concern for women. Men have become more interested in the appearance and health of their skin. A more competitive work environment means men are looking for simply ways to look refreshed and refined, not sallow and weather-beaten.
In 2008, over 12 million cosmetic procedures were performed on men. Of these, over 10 million were non-invasive cosmetic procedures.
The most popular procedures were:
1. Botox injections
2. soft tissue fillers like hyaluronic acid, Radiesse and collagen
3. chemical peels
4. laser hair reduction
In order to facilitate our male patients in their quest for healthy, younger-looking skin, SkinMD considers some basic differences between men and women’s skin:
* Daily shaving exfoliates the skin, which can cause irritation and inflammation.
* Men produce more androgens, which play an important role in collagen production. Men’s skin is about 25% thicker than their female counterparts.
* As a result of androgens, male sebum contains more pore-clogging fatty acids, making males more susceptible to blackheads and breakouts, especially in adolescence.
* Men’s skin average pH is more acidic.
At SkinMD, we take a systematic approach in treating our male patients and educating them about skin health and skin care. The non-negotiable for optimal skin health, and lowering the alarming rates of skin cancer, in men are daily use of broad spectrum (UVA & UVB protecting) sunscreen as well as twice daily cleansing. A middle, treatment step we include in this multi-tasking regimen for at-home care is a hydrating, wrinkle-fighting, anti-inflammatory formulation. Yes, such a product exists.
“keeping you youthful for years to come”
T: (206) 525-0903